Twitter can make a big difference to your business, so it’s important to maximise the exposure you’re getting. Getting to grips with tweeting, retweeting and getting retweets is a task in itself. But are you getting the amount of retweets that you want?
Here are 7 key tips we use.
- Send tweets between noon and 3pm, Monday to Thursday (source: Hootsuite) – they have the highest retweet (RT) rate.
- Friday is thought to be a good day to get retweets – likely to be down to the popular #FF or #FollowFriday hash tag.
- Don’t be backwards in coming forwards! Viral Marketing Scientist at HubSpot, @DanZarrella’s research has shown that adding ‘please retweet’ in your tweet has a 51% retweet rate, and the shorter ‘pleaseRT’ has a 39% retweet rate. Not using these phrases only gives a 12% retweet rate.
- We frequently add links to our tweets; it adds interest and encourages retweets.
- Make it easy for your followers to share your content – aim for your tweet to be 70-100 characters to leave space for a RT and a comment.
- Include a hash tag – the top ones we use are #qualitydesign, #socmedia, #websites, #geniuspr and #marketingtips. They work for us.
- Follow people back and retweet their content if it’s relevant to your business. It’s only polite if they have taken the time to follow you.
Marketing Zone can create and manage a Twitter account for you, and help you incorporate Twitter into your marketing plan. Just ask us and follow @MarketingZoneUK
For more tips, read our guide The basics of Twitter for business.